Friday 26 May 2017

RIP 2BG

The other night, I idly checked out a youtube WhatCulture vid which was listing TV shows that jus---

*three hours of nation-wide power blackout later*

Yes, well, as I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted, I was on youtube the other night checking out a video entitled 10 TV Shows Which Just Have To Be Cancelled. This proved to be a misnomer as the actual topic was 10 TV Shows Which Have Just Been Cancelled, an entirely different kettle of fish. The majority were a list of series I'd never seen, many barely having finished their first series before being chopped for poor ratings and public disinterest.

Upon noticing that this video was less than a week old, I idly thought to myself, Gosh I hope 2 Broke Girls isn't on that list.

And literally the next show in the list was 2 Broke Girls.

I consider this a terrible thing. Particularly as, unlike the nine other programs, it was not axed from poor ratings or public disinterest but because it had breasted (so to speak) the 52 episode limit needed for syndication rights overseas. The same fate had struck down Blake's 7 and Red Dwarf, and was also considered for RTD's Doctor Who. It's horrific.

Alas, I am one of the few people in my very small circle of acquaintances to love this show. I'll be blunt and say it fell into a formula with its fourth series, as the titular girls inevitably hit the big time in the middle of the season only for them to wind up back to their starting point before the series ends. And, truth be told, six seasons is not a bad life for a sitcom that everyone seemed to watch but no one admitted to liking, but the fact it was axed rather than ending is the bummer. The story is unfinished. There is no closure.

But frankly, it's sad because 2 Broke Girls has been a constant comfort to me. The jokes made me laugh, the plots surprised me, and more importantly it was a series about people being nice to each other when they don't have to be. The whole premise involves acts of kindness and refusal to blind prejudice, but also accepting that not everyone will get a happy ending even if they deserve it. Bad luck will happen, opportunities will be missed, but as long as you have people who care about you there's no reason to give up. And that's a lesson that's kept me going quite a few times.

Indeed, Max and Caroline cameoed in my own nervous breakdown trying to save me.

I dunno what that means, but it merits my anger when pure greed ends their universe.

It's one of a very few TV shows I'd actually write fan-fic for, the characters inspiring me in ways that even other franchises I enjoy - House, Parks and Recreation, Drop the Dead Donkey, Nightingales - never has. I recommend it unreservedly, and any complaints that it's just two bitches insulting minorities shows the kind of closed-minded stupidity that deserves such "high brow" entertainment as Fuck Me, I Baked A Cake!, Unpaid Amateurs Decorate Someone Else's House and Hard Chat.

G'bye, girls. Things were better when you were around.


No comments:

Post a Comment